All developed countries are concerned with maintaining industrial and innovation capabilities as engines for their economies. Understanding that there is no sustained economic growth without a strong and innovative industry, there is a global approach to improving industry performances by leveraging new technologies – the Fourth Industrial Revolution.
Navantia has implemented the Shipyard 4.0 model in order to improve productivity and reduce business costs. This model aims to apply and optimise Fourth Industrial Revolution technologies for shipbuilding applications.
Currently being implemented in Navantia Spain’s Ferrol shipyard as part of the program to build the Spanish Navy’s next-generation F110 frigates, Navantia Australia will also adopt the Shipyard 4.0 model customised for Australian specific conditions.
Shipyard 4.0 will enhance both the Continuous Build Program and SEA 5000 outcomes:
- Development of an edge and sustainable shipbuilding industry that will deliver Navy’s future capability through an incremental low risk process
- Modern facilities (shipyard and supply chain) that will deliver internationally competitive products
- Modern ICT infrastructure to support both the ship’s and the shipyard’s digital twins
- Creation of a new skilled workforce able to face the new digital challenges.
The Digital Twin
The digital twin or ship zero is the cornerstone of the Shipyard 4.0 model. This concept will enable the simulation of new products and processes to be developed in virtual work stations. This includes personnel considerations and the reduction of health and safety hazards.
The Shipyard 4.0 model merges the shipbuilding processes with 12 key enabling technologies:
- Robotic process automation
- Virtual and augmented reality
- Virtual modelling and simulation
- Additive manufacturing
- Big data and analytics
- Ubiquitous connectivity and The Internet of Things
- Secure cloud
- Cyber security
- Health, safety and environment
- New materials
- Artificial Intelligence
- Autonomous vehicles
Navantia and its partners are driving innovation to apply these key technologies and achieve edge solutions in a highly competitive environment.